The Canadian Arts Coalition is moving forward with plans for Arts Day on Parliament Hill, Tuesday, October 23th, 2012.
This annual event is an opportunity for artists, board members of arts organizations and arts managers from all regions of the country to meet with Members of Parliament to talk with them about the value that the arts bring to Canadian communities. Previous editions of Arts Day have been extremely successful in engaging parliamentarians, and in obtaining their support on specific Coalition requests. This year, the Coalition is promoting three messages:
- We help build the economy
- Communities strengthens culture
- Government wins by investing in the arts
How can you get involved?
Make the Trip to Ottawa
We welcome artists, board members of arts organizations and arts managers, who
are members of the Canadian Arts Coalition, to make the trip to the nation’s capital to present the Coalition’s messages to MPs, senators and senior officials. We seek people who can speak convincingly about the value that the arts bring to Canadian communities, and the role that federal investment plays. And we want to demonstrate strong national support by having spokespeople from all regions of the country and a diversity of language and artistic practice.
Contact us if you wish to participate.
Take Part via Social Media
Throughout the day, participants will be sharing updates on their meetings via Twitter and other social media.
– Use the hashtag #ArtsDay to follow the conversation and to amplify it with your retweets.
– Take Arts Day into your riding by watching for tweets about your own MP, and by reacting to them.
- If you don’t know who your MP is, do a postal code search on the Parliament of Canada‘s website. Then do a search on Twitter to find your MP’s twitter handle.
- If you’re not seeing any tweet about your MP, it may indicate that your MP wasn’t able to meet with Arts Day participants. Contact us to double check, and then request a meeting in your riding.
- If you’re unfamiliar with social media, but you think Arts Day is a good enough reason to jump in, check our Social Media Primer.
With your support, we can make this Arts Day on Parliament Hill a resounding success.