Digital content and international market access are two areas that arts advocates have been trying to get on the table at the federal government for some time. “Canadian content in a digital world”  (CanCon) is a rare opportunity to put “everything on the table” when it comes to Canadian cultural policy. The pre-consultation online survey  is open until May 20th, and we encourage you to schedule time in your day to craft answers that are meaningful and reflective of your role in the arts and cultural community.
The drivers of change  highlighted in the pre-consultation paper  affect the entire arts and culture ecosystem.
While most activities in our sector are now influenced to some extent by digital technologies, the pre-consultations also give participants the option to think about related policies and practices that may affect your work, such as copyright, competition, and global access.
Now, on to the survey! Where do you start?
- Know that your voice matters. Come with high stakes in mind. Without a ground-level arts and cultural perspective, we risk others dominating the conversation.
- Schedule at least 15 to 30 minutes in your day-planner to familiarize yourself with and complete the CanCon survey.
- Read the pre-consultation paper .
- Read the pre-consultation questionnaire  ahead of time.
- Don’t give up! Some of the questions may not reflect your work or your discipline. Understand that at this point in time, although we can be critical of the survey design, it’s more important to engage in a constructive way. Populate the “Other” field when applicable and in order to give weight to your sector, encourage your networks to participate.
- Consider these critical questions in addition to the survey.  Share some of your reflections with us by emailing email@example.com 
- Showtime! Take the pre-consultation questionnaire 
- Share with us: we invite you to send us a copy of your pre-consultation submission or provide the highlights of your answers within comments under the post. Your perspective will help the Coalition with future messaging and advocacy directions.
Will you fill out the pre-consultation survey?
- Absolutely! It’s a rare opportunity (88%, 14 Votes)
- I’d like to, but I’m still not sure where to start (13%, 2 Votes)
- No, it doesn’t quite affect my work (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 16
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter